Tuesday, April 13, 2010

How To Help Your Kids Study!!

As kids move up into the higher grades in elementary school & high school good independent study habits are crucial for academic success. My daughter Jules has always been a great student but this year she's having to learn how to study more indepently with final exams fast approaching. She had a science test a few weeks ago with definitions galore and she was feeling very overwhelmed!! Together we came up with a solution that not only solved the problem of that particular test but set the pace for her to study for final exams! I only wish I had thought of this idea at the beginning of the school year because she would have had all her study notes already done for her finals. Oh well--there's always next year!!

We decided that flash cards were the way to go--that way my husband & I could test her too. So we had her write out all the info on 3X5 index cards (which is a great form of studying too).

We then went on the hunt for a box to keep them in!! I think recipe boxes, at least around where we live, have gone the way of the dinosaur. We hunted and hunted and finally found some at our local Staples store. They were a little pricy and not that portable. In the same section we found these plastic & portable file card holders that hold about 100-150 cards that were just perfect for this project and they only cost $2.50 Cdn!! So we were set.

I thought I would jazz up the folder a little bit for Jules by adding a title card to identify which set of notes were in the box. The plastic is thin enough for you to see the title card underneath.



Dustin Pike, High Hopes new artist, came up with some really brilliant alien images for their last release and I thought Alien Intrigue would be a perfect image for this project!

So there you have it! Hopefully this helps!! You can use this idea for any subject, especially those ones that have memorization involved. Definitions, formulas, math tables, schematics, etc. they all can be put on these cards!!!

Thanks for dropping by & have a great day!!

Blessings,
Sarah :)

Stamp: High Hopes
Stamped On: Neenah
Inks: Memento--Tuxedo Black & Colorbox Fluid Chalks--French Blue & Lime Pastel
Media: Copic Markers
Cardstock: Bazzil Papers
DP: Scraps from Stash
Die Cut Scallop Circle: Nestabilities
Brads: Doodlebug
Letter Stickers: Provo Craft--Alphabitties (Wedge White)

2 comments:

  1. Brilliant idea, Sarah
    The image is perfect!! Fabulous design...I love it!!

    Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to remember this idea when my son goes into middle school next year. That is a really good idea to start in the beginning and just have all your notes ready for when a test and final come up. I don't know that he would let me jazz it up though! :-) I really liked the way you did!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and for leaving your comments! I really appreciate them!
Have a blessed day!
Sarah